The Latest Dish

6 Farmers’ Market Foods You Should Never Feed Your Dog

One of the best things about Summer is the plethora of Farmers’ Markets that pop up around the country. Farmers’ Markets have evolved from being a local “grocery store” to a community center where friends gather and catch up all while gathering local produce and food items. At many markets people bring the entire family and enjoy some of their discoveries while still at the market. Enjoying produce is fun, but there are some “people” foods that are unhealthy, or even deadly, for dogs.

Mushrooms. Just as some varieties of mushrooms are toxic to humans, many varieties are toxic to dogs. The best course of action is to never allow your dog to have mushrooms. This also means avoiding sharing that bit of pot roast if it was cooked in a mushroom gravy.

Grapes and Raisins. One of the compounds in grapes (and concentrated in raisins) can cause liver damage and kidney failure. It doesn’t take many grapes to cause a canine fatality so avoid sharing completely. Be careful with Oatmeal cookies, so many of use love to share a bit of a cookie with our best friends and forget the dangers that oatmeal raisin cookies pose.

Hops and Beer. As cool as some dogs may be, the hops in beer can cause increased heart rates, seizures, and death.

Onions and Chives. They contain disulfides and sulfoxides, both of which can cause anemia and damage red blood cells. Even cooked onions are toxic to dogs, so be cautious with foods that were cooked with onion including roasts and Thanksgiving stuffing.

Corn on the cob. Everyone loves to eat corn on the cob, and it looks cute to see a dog eat corn on the cob, but this can lead to serious problems. Dogs easily chew through the cob and often will eat chunks of it. Dogs cannot digest cobs so they can become lodged in their digestive tract which can prove fatal to dogs. The usual course of action when a cob, or a portion of cob, is consumed is surgery.

Garlic.  Garlic can cause damage to red blood cells in dogs, especially if eaten raw. The frightening thing there is that the symptoms don’t usually show up for a few days. The telltale sign is a darkening of the urine, even becoming red or orange. To avoid the need for a blood transfusion, think of your dog as a furry vampire and avoid garlic completely.

Ramsey-Farmers-Market-056

 

Follow Black Tie and Flip Flops on Twitter  at @BlackTieFF, Like Us On Facebook,

and follow us on Instagram at @BlackTieAndFlipFlops 

About Black Tie and Flip Flops (632 Articles)
The passions, musings, and discoveries of culinary explorers and raconteurs. Follow us on twitter at @BlackTieFF ( https://twitter.com/BlackTieFF ) and like us on Facebook ( facebook.com/BlackTieFlipFlops )

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: